Kidney stones are referred as hardened mineral masses that combine with other substances to form a buildup in the urinary tract. The most common stones are generally calcium based. Kidney stones are characterized by symptoms like stomach pain and blood or flank in urine. Although symptoms are severe and unbearable, they can be treated with simple yet effective home remedies, lemon juice being one of them.
Explaining Kidney Stones and the Causes
Usually kidney stones occur in case of crystallization of salt and minerals, generally calcium oxalate, in the kidneys to form hard deposits. Even though they buildup in the kidneys, they can affect almost any part of the urinary tract. These are also known as urolithiasis or calculi.
One of the major factors that contribute to formation of kidney stones is dehydration. When your body is dehydrated, the fluid moves very slowly from the kidneys thus raising the chances of salt and mineral compounds to come together and stick together to form hard stones.
If the stones formed are small in size, they may pass easily through the urinary tract. But, medium or large sized stones can be extremely painful and difficult to pass. As a matter of fact, they may even require medical procedure.
Lemon Juice Efficacy for Kidney Stones
Kidney stones may take a devastating form. However, if detected in time, they can be treated easily through effective home remedies. It has been proved through studies and researches that lemon juice acts as an effective remedy for kidney stones. Citric acid is believed to be helpful in prevention of kidney stones by raising the level of acidity in urine. However, it does not remove the existing kidney stones but prevents them from getting bigger. This is through the coating it forms over the stone thus preventing other substance to attach and create a buildup. It is found commonly in citrus fruits, like orange and grapefruit.
Lemon is believed to be the richest source of citric acid among many. Lemon juice is one of the most popular remedies for kidney stones. As suggested by Dr. Edward Group, an experienced naturopathic physician and founder of Global Healing Center, Inc., the very first sign of kidney stone pain should be followed by drinking 2 oz. of fresh lemon juice mixed with equal amount of organic olive oil. Follow this with drinking 12 ounces of fresh water. Wait for about half an hour.
Then, take fresh lemon juice obtained from about ½ lemons and add to 12 oz. of purified water. Further, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and drink. Repeat the recipe with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and water after every hour till you feel the symptoms to improve.
Tips and Precautions to be Considered while using Lemon Juice for Kidney Stones
Although lemon juice doesn’t harm body in normal conditions, there are certain tips and precautions that need to be considered while taking lemon juice for kidney stones. These warnings and tips aid quick and safe relief from kidney stones in present as well as future state.
- Make sure to use extra virgin organic olive oil and organic fresh lemons to treat the problem of kidney stones.
- Another good option is to try a hand on pills that contain lemon. These pills are available easily at pharmacy stores. However, their efficacy is not as much as juice from fresh organic juice.
- Kidney stones problem can also be treated through intake of lemon containing foods like sodas, candies, and other beverages.
- Incorporate effective lemon juice recipes regularly to get maximum benefit for the problem, i.e. removal of kidney stone from the body.
- You can also try on lemon juice remedies for kidney stones or simple lemon juice occasionally, even if you don’t have kidney stones. This can help to prevent future attacks of kidney stones.
- Also, you can include intake of lemon water or tea, on empty stomach, in your daily routine. This not only dissolves existing kidney stones but also prevents the formation of new ones.
Lemon juice not only helps in preventing formation of but it also has the potential to break up and dissolve kidney stones and make them to pass conveniently from kidney to bladder through the process of urination. The natural antiseptic properties also prevent bacteria from multiplying. This way, it prevents you from being attacked by infections within the kidney.
However, under severe or extreme symptoms of kidney stones, it is recommended to consult a doctor at the earliest for treatment.